Country information USA

Health insurance for foreign interns in the USA

health insurance intern USA

An internship in the USA can help you with your career planning, enrich your resume and lead to an increase in experience in your occupational field. The United States has the world’s largest economy and offers career opportunities in various industries. As a foreign intern in the USA you can use your time to gain international business experience, develop intercultural competence, improve your language skills and build up your personal network abroad. Internships in the USA are suitable for foreign university students and recent graduates.

Maybe your internship experience in the USA will arrouse your interest in studying at an U.S. university or starting a job in the USA later?

Eligible group

If you want to enter the USA as a citizen of a foreign country you must obtain a visa. For internships in the United States you have to obtain the J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor Program). The following conditions must be met.

In order to get a J-1 Visa as a foreign intern in the USA:

  • you must be at least 18 years of age
  • you must be currently enrolled in a university outside the United States or have graduated from the latter no more than 12 months before the exchange visa program is to start
  • you must have an internship contract
  • you must have sufficient proficiency in the English language
  • your internship must not exceed a period of 12 months
  • you must carry medical insurance at the minimum benefit levels stated in the program regulations (see the minimum benefits)

Here you can find detailed information about the J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program.

Legal basics about health insurance for interns in the USA

In order to get a J-1 Visa as a foreign intern in the USA you must carry medical insurance at the minimum benefit levels stated in the regulations of the Exchange Visitor Program. A suitable insurance must meet today’s medical insurance needs and cover interns in the USA for sickness or accidents during the time of their exchange visitor program.

As an intern in the USA you require a medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
  • Insurance advice

    Every country has its own healthcare system. On the basis of characteristics like your home country, the duration of your stay, the reason of your stay and the destination of your trip different needs for health insurance appear. Our organistion recommends Care Concept AG from Germany for health insurance solutions abroad. Click here for further informations about Care Concept AG.

    In order to get the J-1 Visa as a If you foreign intern in the USA you must carry medical insurance. As discussed in the legal basics about health insurance for internships in the USA, your health insurance must cover defined minimum benefits. Care Concept AG offers the Care Discover product for this purpose, at 1.39 € per day. Click here for more information about the health insurance Care Discover.

Topics about the USA

Au-pair in the USA

Working in the USA

Language pupils in the USA

Interns in the USA

Students in the USA

Guests in the USA

ISPA e.V. - Ecke Links untenISPA e.V. - Ecke Links UntenISPA e.V. - Bogen rechts UntenISPA - Ecke rechts Unten
Imprint | Home | Sitemap