Country information Germany

Health Insurance for Foreign Language Students in Germany

Krankenversicherung Sprachschueler Deutschland

A language holiday in Germany is a stay with the goal of either learning or improving one’s ability to speak German. Language instruction takes place in a recognized language school. The university entrance qualification of foreign applicants from certain countries is, in the opinion of German universities, not comparable to a diploma from a German secondary school. For this reason, foreigners who wish to study in Germany should attend a "Preparatory College" before they begin their studies in order to improve their language skills. Whether one's German-language skills are sufficient for university study is determined through testing.

There are Certain requirements, if you want to become a language student in Germany: a certificate of completion of secondary school studies (obtained in the home country), an application for study at a German university (or a student visa), and of course, the ability to speak the German language.

Eligible Group

All persons who attend a (preparatory) language course in Germany at a minimum of 18 hours per week.

Legal basics about health insurance for Language Students

According to § 5 para. 1 No. 1 of the Residence Act, the granting of a residence permit requires the assurance of livelihood. Part of the assurance of livelihood is, according to § 2 para. 3 of the Residence Act, as well, the existence of adequate health insurance.

Generally, statutory health insurance (GKV) or private health insurance (PKV) are recognized as providing adequate health insurance coverage - in accordance with the requirements of § 257 SGB V.

EHowever, one problem with this is that, because of the legal basis set for the issuing or the extending of visas, language students have no access to the GKV, and the PKV system does not accept language students with a temporary residence permit. As a solution for persons with a temporary residence permit, travel health insurance offers coverage. (Up to a policy term of 5 years §195 VVG).

Insurance recommendation

For language students a number of plans from various private health insurance companies are available. We recommend the plans made especially for vocational training and continuing education participants offered by our partner Care Concept AG. This specialist for language student health insurance offers optimal insurance coverage starting at € 28 per month.

If you wish, you can get additional liability and accident insurance from Care Concept AG as well – the obtainment of which is also a good idea. Personal liability insurance offers protection from bodily injury, property damage, and deportation costs, while accident insurance protects against risks such as disability and death.

Topics on Germany

Au-pair in Germany

Working in Germany

Visitors in Germany

Studying in Germany

Internships in Germany

Foreign Language Students in Germany

ISPA e.V. - Ecke Links untenISPA e.V. - Ecke Links UntenISPA e.V. - Bogen rechts UntenISPA - Ecke rechts Unten
Imprint | Home | Sitemap